Due to COVID-19 we will offer NEXGEN virtually yet with the same high quality facilitators and curriculum. Staff and committee are being vigilant in monitoring the CDC guidelines and will offer flexibility in programming as needed.
Since 1981, Leadership Southern Indiana has educated and trained over 2,000 community leaders to embrace our community through civic engagement and servant leadership. Their contributions have helped shape community progress and development through Clark, Floyd, Scott Counties and the surrounding areas.
NEXGEN is Southern Indiana’s award-winning youth leadership program that was added to our suite of programs in 2014. Open to any high school junior in the Southern Indiana region, the program’s objectives will provide experiences for young leaders of our community to encourage their future success.
How Individuals Benefit
- Increased awareness of self and strengths as a leader.
- Increased awareness of the vastness of our community through business exposure, including corporate, small business, non-profit, civic and government.
- Develop a real-world view of life after high school through financial literacy and business etiquette.
- Opportunity to network with Southern Indiana regions’ business leaders.
How Community Benefits
- Students are encouraged to look at our community as a place to live, work and play after high school, college or trade school.
- Students are better prepared to deal with finances and have demonstrated their ability to give back to their community with their time, talent and treasure.
- Students are engaged and actively involved in the community.
For the Class of 2022, students will have a parent/student evening orientation in August, five class days September – April with a possible Saturday Service Day and graduation. Programs may pivot to virtual as needed but as of now we are planning to be in person.
Program Calendar for the Class of 2021 (August 2020-May 2021)
Class of 2021 Spring Term
August 2nd, 2021 — Student/Parent Orientation- Virtual
September 14th, 2021 — Day 1
November 16th, 2021 — Day 2
January 11th, 2022 — Day 3
February 8th, 2022 — Breakfast Series, Breakfast Only
March 8th, 2022 — Day 4 with Breakfast Series
April 12th, 2022— Day 5
TBD — Graduation
Note: Class Days are typically 7:30 am to 2:30 pm. Class Dates are subject to change.
Because of a generous donation by First Savings Bank, tuition for the NEXGEN Program is $100 (+3% if paid with a credit card) for each student – which includes facilitators, supplies as well as meals and transportation when needed. Limited tuition scholarships are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Questions about scholarships should be directed to the Leadership SI CEO/President.
- Participants are expected to make a commitment to the program through engagement in the class day.
- Attendance – is required unless illness or an emergency. Please note if student does not show up for a day, we will notify the school.
- Participant must show a willingness to continue to support Leadership SI through time, talent and treasure and referral of future candidates for the benefit of our community.
- Certificates are awarded on the basis of satisfactory completion of the program including attendance.
Who Should Apply
For the Class of 2022, students who are SOPHOMORES in the SPRING of 2021 apply and will complete spots through a highly-competitive selection process. The actual number selected will be based on program capacity. The ideal candidate will demonstrate leadership, commitment to community, civic involvement, and high character. Approximately 45 candidates will be selected from over 14 local highs schools, representing a diverse cross-section of the community. Applications are closed at this time.
How to Apply
During open application periods, school counselors will have information on when and how to apply. Application process opens on 2/15/2021. Completed applications are due by 3/15/2021. Be sure to have forms signed before filling out the application. For more information or questions, please contact the office at 812-246-6574.