Since 1981, Leadership Southern Indiana has educated and trained over 2,000 community leaders to embrace our community through civic engagement and servant leadership. Their contributions have helped shape community progress and development through Clark and Floyd Counties and the surrounding areas.
NEXGEN is Southern Indiana’s award-winning youth leadership program that was added to our suite of programs in 2014. Open to any high school junior in the Southern Indiana region, the program’s objectives will provide experiences for young leaders of our community to encourage their future success.
How Individuals Benefit
- Increased awareness of self and strengths as a leader.
- Increased awareness of the vastness of our community through business exposure, including corporate, small business, non-profit, civic and government.
- Develop a real-world view of life after high school through financial literacy and business etiquette.
- Opportunity to network with Southern Indiana regions’ business leaders.
How Community Benefits
- Students are encouraged to look at our community as a place to live, work and play after high school, college or trade school.
- Students are better prepared to deal with finances and have demonstrated their ability to give back to their community with their time, talent and treasure.
- Students are engaged and actively involved in the community.
The NEXGEN students will participate in either a Fall or Spring session. Each session consist of four program days and one serve day (usually a Saturday). Program days are typically from 7:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., and are considered excused absences from school.
Program Calendar for the Class of 2021 (August 2020-May 2021)
Class of 2021 Fall Term
August 3 | Orientation, 5:00 – 6:00 pm
December 5 – Saturday SERVE Day
December 14 | Graduation, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
February 4, 2021- Fall Term attends Breakfast Series
Class of 2021 Spring Term
August 3 | Orientation, 5:00 -6:00 pm
March 4 – Breakfast Series
April 10 – Saturday SERVE Day
April 16| Graduation, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
*Class days are typically 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
Because of a generous donation by First Savings Bank, tuition for the NEXGEN Program is only $100 for each student – which includes meals, transportation and materials for all program days. Limited tuition scholarship are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Questions about scholarships should be directed to the Leadership SI executive director.
- Participants are expected to make a commitment to the program through engagement in the class day.
- Attendance – is required unless illness or an emergency. Please note if student does not show up for a day, we will notify the school.
- Participant must show a willingness to continue to support Leadership SI through time, talent and treasure and referral of future candidates for the benefit of our community.
- Certificates are awarded on the basis of satisfactory completion of the program including attendance.
Who Should Apply
High School sophomores will complete for one of 85 spots open through a highly-competitive selection process. The actual number selected will be based on program capacity. The ideal candidate will demonstrated leadership, commitment to community, civic involvement, and high character. Approximately 85 (40-45 in each session) candidates are selected representing a diverse cross section of the community.
How to Apply
During open application periods, school counselors will have information on when and how to apply. Application process opens on 2/17/2020. Completed applications are due by 3/18/2020. For more information or questions, please contact the office at 812-246-6574.